Friday, January 12, 2007

Dementia/Speaking two tongues


The Globe and Mail carried today a very interesting article on the relationship between being bilingual and dementia.

Canadian researchers have linked multilingualism to the delay in the onset of dementia. While the sample of people tested was relatively small (184), it still points to a very interesting phenomenon.

The findings extend previous research that has appeared to show the benefits of crossword puzzles and other mental workouts.”


I am not a medical person, but have been multilingual most of my life, with two predominating languages: French and English. Over the years, I have found that my fondness for multilingual communications has increased (or certainly not diminished) and that I seem to thrive on the mental challenges it poses. I also happen to love crossword puzzles and other mental workouts.

Who would have thought that being bilingual would be good for your health?

No comments: