Friday, March 21, 2008

Terminology is more than words / La terminologie dépasse le mot

You may have dealt with a translator who asked you for specific terminology related to the piece you are having translated. Were you annoyed or did you help? Reminds me of a time when a video studio called me from Detroit, asking me for terminological information. They were doing a service video for a large auto manufacturer. The question I was asked was: “what are caliper brakes?” I probed to find out what automotive knowledge did the translator have about automotive brakes – he had none! I recommended to the manufacturer that they pick someone who knows the automotive field.

Récemment, dans le cadre d’un travail sur l’installation de câbles de fibres optiques, j’ai rencontré l’expression “handwell”. Mes recherches dans Termium et le GDT n’ayant pas abouti, j’ai demandé au client de me renseigner. On m’envoie un schéma décrivant l’objet. En désespoir de cause, je fais une recherche sur Internet et trouve dans les dossiers de la ville de Toronto, une série de documents décrivant en images et en texte la nature de l’objet, sa fonction, son installation - bref tout ce que je cherchais. Vous donnez-votre langue au chat?

Il s’agissait d’un puits de raccordement. Morale de l’histoire : il ne suffit pas d’un équivalent, il faut comprendre comment il marche, quelle est sa fonction.

The translator needs to know not only the word but how the item works, how it is used – the City of Toronto documentation provided me all that.

No comments: