Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A translation that missed the boat/Pourquoi chercher midi à quatorze heures ?

I happened to chance upon Birk’s Jewellers home page recently and was pleasantly surprised by the tag line: "Sure to bring back the butterflies". The addition of a fluttering butterfly really combines the abstract and the concrete.

My translator’s curiosity made me look at the French version:

“Ravive la flamme en un battement d’aile” or word by word: “Revives the flame with the beat of a wing”

Does the sight of a butterfly revive love? I think the translator looked too far or tried to create a poetic message, forgetting that there is a very common and accepted expression

“Sentir des papillons dans l’estomac”

Il est vrai que l’expression en question n’est pas mentionnée ni dans le Petit Larousse ni dans le Robert. J’ai trouvé cependant plusieurs occurrences de cette expression sur Internet, surtout par des auteurs québécois. Interrogée sur la publicité, mon épouse (d’expression anglaise) me dit : I could have done this translation myself. En effet, le traducteur avait cherché trop loin.

Il s’agit d’une surtraduction. Est-ce que le français actuel vous fait penser au petit pincement dans l’estomac provoqué par un événement agréable et imprévu ? À vous de juger.


No comments: