Thursday, February 18, 2010

Dragon – Writing an article on the dictaphone! Création d’un article au Dictaphone


I have recently been asked to write a short  article for a professional publication.  I knew what I wanted to say so it was just a matter of putting it down on paper. That done, I wanted to hear it read and remembered that my Dragon Voice Recognition software has a text-to-speech feature.  So I opened the appropriate boxes and found the option for that function.  Cut & paste and I was listening to my article being read in English by an artificial voice!
L’article que je viens de composer pour une publication professionnelle était en anglais et je voulais voir quelle impression il donnait. Je me suis souvenu que le logiciel Dragon a également une fonction de synthèse vocale. Il suffit de copier-coller le texte dans une case appropriée et la machine vous donne la lecture de l’article par une voix artificielle.
Encouragé par ce succès, j’ai décidé de dicter une version française du même article. J’ai tout simplement modifié la langue dans Dragon (il y a un grand choix de langues dans chaque logiciel ) et j’ai commencé à dicter en français. Formidable, le français s’affiche à mesure que je dicte. J’ai dû revenir à quelques reprises pour faire des petites corrections, mais c’est surtout parce que je ne maîtrise pas encore la dictée à 100 pour cent.
Emboldened by the English results, I decided to create a translation of the same article but in French this time. In the same Dragon software, I selected French this time and just “talked” the translation through.  It was amazingly easy and only a few corrections were required because I am not quite used to the software yet. I can also select the text-to-speech feature and have the computer read the article back to me in French.
As with any tool, practice makes perfect and I intend to use dictation more often, both in English and in French. Comme pour tout nouvel outil, il suffit de s’en servir suffisamment pour l’apprivoiser.

No comments: